Panhellenic women are leaders in service and philanthropy on Northwestern’s campus. In addition to contributing to their own national philanthropies and service projects, they serve on executive boards for community service student organizations such as Northwestern Community Development Corps (NCDC), Alternative Student Breaks (ASB), and Supplies for Dreams.Panhellenic women take part in Dance Marathon (DM), on of the nation’s largest student run philanthropies, as participants, committee members, and executive board members. In 2011, Greek students raised over 400,000 dollars, contributing to the fundraising total of over 1,000,000 dollars, a new record in Northwestern’s history.
Philanthropy is an integral part of the Northwestern Panhellenic experience. Each of our 12 chapters raises funds and awareness for their national philanthropy through philanthropic events, open to all students and the Evanston community. Please visit each chapter’s individual page to learn more about their national philanthropy and the fundraisers they hold annually to support these important causes.
Panhellenic sponsorship have:
- Brought two busses of students to Northwestern’s campus for a Supplies for Dreams college preparation program
- Helped provide lighting at Northwestern Dance Marathon
- Purchased reusable travel mugs for the first place Greek Green Cup Panhellenic chapter to encourage sustainable initiatives
- Energized volunteers with breakfast before a day of service day for NU Gives Back
- Supported the Evanston community by donating the $400 from Delta Tau Delta for Panhellenic women’s help in recruiting their first pledge class to the Evanston YWCA and Porchlight, an local organization providing counseling services to victims of sexual assault
The Northwestern Panhellenic community also supports Northwestern GreekBuild, an organization started in 2008 to unite the Greek community while supporting Habitat for Humanity and homelessness organizations in the Chicagoland area. Panhellenic women support GreekBuild by raising money through various philanthropic events and by donating their time to build days at local Habitat for Humanity sites. Of the 12 Panhellenic chapters at Northwestern, all 12 have had members volunteer through GreekBuild, and at the moment 10 have members on GreekBuild! Learn more about GreekBuild on its website: www.nugreekbuild.squarespace.com